Citation:   Major Gordon Wood.  (1946).  The Story of the Irish Regiment of Canada 1939-1945.  Netherlands: no publisher named.  pp. 63–64.
Editor's Note:   This web page con­tains approx­imate­ly one pa­ge from the Wood book on the Irish Regi­ment his­tory.  The ori­gi­nal page breaks are re­cor­ded in HTML com­ments that can be viewed in the source for this page.  Abbre­via­tions and acro­nyms have been spel­led out and some terms have been clari­fied.  The move des­cribed in the first para­graph be­low took place in .

  · · ·  the unit  · · ·  set out for Arnhem, crossing the great pontoon bridge which had been already erected.
After a night spent in the heart of the deserted and looted city, the Regiment, under Lieutenant-colonel Payne, set out with the remainder of the 5th Division in an armoured drive, in the true sense of the word.  It was a swift drive north from Arnhem to the Zuiderzee, also called the Ijsselmeer, designed to cut the opposing forces in two.  On the 16th of April the unit moved into Otterloo, and proceeded to clear the area, which was just above the wooded hills where the para­troopers had made their gallant stand some months before as part of Operation Market Garden.  During this clearing-out task Lieutenant Hal Keely of B Company was killed by a sniper. 
That night, around midnight, a German officer and about 25 men rushed into Otterloo and attacked the tactical headquarters. This was the first intimation of a strong counter-attack which was already moving against us.  By 0130 in the morning a large force could be seen in front of B and C companies.  Divisional headquarters down the road was also under attack, and asked for a platoon from the Irish Regiment. In the field beside the town, the 17th Field Regiment, Royal Canadian Artillery, was firing over open sights at the enemy infantry as they infiltrated among the guns.
By 0430 on the morning of the 17th the attack was on in earnest, preceded by a heavy shelling of Otterloo, during which Captain Nat Shawand and Sergeant-major Bill Hemmings were severely wounded.  B Company under Major Bill Elder was doing a fine job in beating off the forward wave of attackers.  Corporal Walter (Red) Asseltine of Support Company sallied forth with his Wasp flame-throwers and burned the enemy as they advanced along the ditches of the road leading into the village.  For this feat he was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal.  Morning revealed 200 dead Germans heaped about the approaches to the village, while only 22 had the good fortune to be taken prisoner.