The Regiment was mobilized originally as two batteries, the 37th and the 60/76.
The former was recruited as three troops, A troop at FORT WILLIAM and PORT ARTHUR, B troop at FORT FRANCES
and KENORA and C troop at PORTAGE LA PRAIRIE.
The 60/76 Battery was recruited entirely from SASKATCHEWAN,
half coming from ANEROID and other points
in Western and South Western SASKATCHEWAN while the second half came from INDIAN
HEAD and the CPR main line district East of REGINA.
The NPAM units from which these two active
service batteries were formed, were the 7th Medium Artillery Brigade which
consisted of the 16th
Battery centred at KENORA, the 17th at FORT FRANCES and the 18th at PORT ARTHUR, the 26 Field
Artillery Brigade from BRANDON, the 10th and 22nd Field Artillery Brigades
of SOUTH SASKATCHEWAN.
These units provided the NCO
and officer nucleus which
was responsible for the initial training and the transformation from a
civilian to a soldier regiment.
The first medical boards were held in the various recruiting centres
between 20 July and 1 Aug 1940.
Recruiting went well and both batteries were well up to strength by the
middle of August.